This position is full-time, 40-hours per week with typical office hours between 8:00am to 5:00pm; Monday - Friday. We take your dedication to our project seriously, and provide benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. You are eligible to earn up to approximately 10 days of vacation per year plus generous holiday time off; we offer top-of-the-line medical insurance, dental plans, life insurance, vision and a generous retirement benefit.
San Diego State University's HealthLINK Center for Transdisciplinary Health Disparities Research (SDSU HealthLINK Center) is a multi-college effort to support minority health and health disparities research. With over 60 individuals on the team and growing, the SDSU HealthLINK Center consists of multi-disciplinary faculty, administrative and technical staff, students, volunteers, and partnered organizations. The SDSU HealthLINK Center is committed to the vision of inspiring collaborative and transformational research that promotes health and well-being for everyone.
This position supports SDSU HealthLINK Center by furthering the enhancement of research infrastructure and services at SDSU and its partnered organizations. The Research Infrastructure Core (RIC), in which this position is based, offers a wide range of research services, housing expertise in multiple research methods and establishing an IT infrastructure to support varied research needs and data analytics applications across the university to enhance health disparities research.
Under the general supervision of Drs. Kristen Wells, Chris Paolini, Ming Tsou, and the Center Research Manager, the Server and Database Administrator is responsible for carrying out all aspects of the administration of a complex server environment. The server environment includes some HIPAA-compliant servers and supports all research IT infrastructure for the SDSU HealthLINK Center. The incumbent will coordinate and collaborate with the IT Managers and IT Staff of the various SDSU Colleges to ensure compliance with SDSU IT policies and standards.
The incumbent will have primary responsibility for all aspects of the physical and virtual server infrastructure for the SDSU HealthLINK Center; implementation, security, and management of the Center’s data analytic infrastructure and associated databases for the center’s programs and affiliated projects (e.g., Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL); will establish, implement, and manage IT security and HIPAA compliance policies for the Center’s IT infrastructure; will maintain all technical documents related to the Center’s IT infrastructure; and additional duties as required.
The Server and Database Administrator is responsible for but not limited to:
The Server Administrator Responsibilities 55%
The Database Administrator Responsibilities 25%
Other Duties as Assigned 20%
Knowledge and Abilities
• Experience with VMware management and deployment.
• Strong knowledge of Windows and Linux Server operating systems.
• Experience with securing server infrastructure and enforcing and implementing IT security policies.
• Understanding of network infrastructures.
• Skilled in record keeping and quality control.
• Ability to work variable hours, as necessary, including nights and weekends for required maintenance and testing.
• Demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity.
Minimum Experience and Education:
● Bachelor degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
● 2+ years of server administration experiences with Windows and Linux servers.
Preferred Experience & Education:
• 2+ years experience with server administration in both Windows and Linux environments
• 2+ years experience with database administration in MS SQL server, MySQL, SQL Server, and/or PostgreSQL
• Experience with HIPAA compliance and policies
• Experience with SQL queries
• Experience with Cloud infrastructures, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud
• Experience ensuring the normalization of 3NF and comprehensive data schema
• Experience in an educational or research business environment
• Bilingual in English and Spanish - speaking, reading, and writing
This position is open until filled
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation