Licensed to San Diego State University, KPBS Radio, Television & Online serves San Diego County with news, information, entertainment and cultural content. The organization presents local and national content that is valued and trusted by the community. KPBS also produces and distributes content about San Diego that is valued by local, regional, national and international audiences and is worthy of support.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Freelance News Producers will assist the KPBS news team on an as-needed basis with no set schedule, producing segments and newscast items as well as line producing KPBS shows such as Midday Edition, Evening Edition, and The Roundtable.
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities. Job descriptions may be modified in order to meet the needs of the department.
Collaborates with Editors and News Producers, anchors and newsroom members to determine the content of assigned shows.
● Books guests, conducts research, writes questions and scripts, and when needed, conducts interviews in studio and in the field, and edits audio and/or video for radio and/or TV.
● Stacks show order for flow and high production value, including reviewing scripts for accuracy and timely news information.
● Line produces live shows.
● Coordinates breaking news with editorial desk.
● Tracks and updates information in ENPS and the news whiteboard.
● Writes web stories.
● Assists with coordination of video journalists as needed.
Knowledge and Abilities
● Demonstrated excellence in news judgment and ability to generate engaging story ideas.
● Ability to think creatively about topics and story angles.
● Strong writing experience in broadcast, online and/or print.
● Knowledge and adherence to high ethical standards.
● Knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling and AP Style.
● Ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple stories at once, and shift gears quickly.
● Be decisive and accurate in breaking news situations.
● Proven ability to consistently work well with editors and station colleagues, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at KPBS and within the public broadcasting system.
● Strong verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
● Strong computer and research skills.
● Ability to edit with Adobe Premiere.
● Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of insurance required.
● Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
● Highly motivated self-starter.
● Ability to engage audience via social media.
● Minimum two years professional experience as journalist, including minimum of one year’s experience in research, preferably in a broadcast or print news/interview setting.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in journalism
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer