The Fiscal Analyst is responsible for but not limited to:
Fiscal and Analytical Operations 40%
• Performs fiscal and analytical operations which include, but are not limited to, functions of budgeting, fiscal control, accounting, purchasing and procurement.
• Prepares the Monthly Invoices, Fiscal Year End Report, Local Agency Expenditures Report, Report of Actual Expenditures, Budgetary Reports including Time Study Analysis Reports and others as needed.
• Develops and monitors fiscal controls for nutrition and administration services in the WIC Program.
• Determines cost of operations by establishing standard costs; collecting operational data.
• Identifies financial status by comparing and analyzing accurate actual spending with plans and forecasts.
• Reconciles transactions by comparing and correcting data.
• Maintains database by entering, verifying, and backing up data.
• Takes initiative to contribute financial knowledge and analysis towards team deliverables.
Expenditure Oversight 40%
• Provides detailed, comprehensive financial guidance to project personnel expenses, fringe benefits rates and overhead costs to forecast expenditures for the next fiscal year
• Prepares detailed revenue and cost projections to forecast availability of funds and prepare budget adjustments, if applicable. Manage funds with consideration to service, audits and compliance. Review and approve all expenditures and cost transfers with consideration for internal policy and procedures, allowability and availability of funds.
• Guides cost analysis process by adhering to policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; recommending actions.
• Responsible for monitoring exceptions to approved process (.e. deficit fund balances, outstanding advances, inadequate documentation of expenses, etc.) developing recommendations and implementing action plans to resolve exception items in a timely manner
• Interacts with WIC Director, Principal Investigator and Grant Specialist to provide analytic services, general accounting and business support
Finance & Accounting Projects 10%
• Under general direction, performance of administrative and/or project leadership in a large and and/or complex system.
• Coordinate budget discussions and approval meetings with WIC Director and Principal Investigator and other WIC staff as relevant.
• Assists WIC Director in developing the Funding Application for the WIC Contract which includes budget proposals and personnel justifications worksheets.
• Assist with Strategic projects as assigned by management.
Policies and Procedures 4%
• Support development, drafts and editing process of fiscal, accounting and procurement policies and procedures as requested
Audit of Financial Statements and Other Audits Needs 3%
• Represents the WIC Program during the State Controllers and Federal A-133 Program Audits.
• Gather backup documentation for audits as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities as Assigned 3%
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or related field
• Three or more years of Accountant experience
• Previous experience working in a university or non-profit environment
• Previous work-related experience in WIC, social services or public health program
• Previous work experience as a grants & contract administrator
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
A background check (including a criminal records and Livescan Fingerprint check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation