This position is open until filled with first review of applications on Friday, August 10, 2018.
The Human Resources department provides a full range of personnel services to approximately 175 central staff employees, 800 regular salaried employees, and up to 5000 temporary employees per year. Areas of responsibility include: development and application of personnel policies and procedures, employee relations, fringe benefits, compensation administration, computerized personnel/payroll system, staffing and affirmative action. Employees of Human Resources participate, as active members in various groups and committees dealing with various specific and broad management problems confronting SDSU Research Foundation. The Human Resources staff is expected to develop and use innovative approaches, techniques and procedures to provide more effective and responsive services to Project Directors and other SDSU Research Foundation managers and staff.
Under the supervision of the Benefits Manager, the Benefits Specialist is responsible for administering benefits, Workers’ Compensation and leave of absence programs.
• Serves as point of contact for employees regarding benefits upon eligibility, during employment, and at termination
• Administers and communicates the health and welfare plans for employees including but not limited to medical, dental, prescriptions, vision, flexible spending, short-term disability, long-term disability, life, accident, voluntary plans, wellness, 403b and deferred compensation
• Processes enrollment or termination of benefits changes, maintaining accurate benefits information; audits, researches, and corrects enrollment or deduction problems based on employee inquiry and carrier reports
• Generates weekly termination notices and feeds to COBRA Administrator’s online portal; monitors dependent children reaching age limit, sends conversion letter, notifies COBRA Administrator and prepares benefits change form
• Presents benefits portion of new employee orientation and follows-up with employees regarding benefit enrollment questions; maintains content of the benefits section of new employee orientation material; presents benefits orientation for all JDP students and Post-Doctoral employees
• Actively participates in all aspects of Annual Open Enrollment and validates all benefit information is accurately presented to employees, and all employees are accurately enrolled and sent to carriers; maintains supply of all benefits forms and materials
• Files employee Workers’ Compensation claim reports, provides employee with WC information, and authorizes treatment; maintains WC files and lists of Designated Physicians Log
• Reviews monthly Loss Run Reports and processes required Workers’ Compensation billing; coordinates regular Workers’ Compensation review meetings with Broker and Insurance Carrier
• Reviews, investigates, and analyzes related trends in employee accidents and injuries
• Compiles and posts required reports such as OSHA’s Form 300A and US Dept. of Labor/Bureau of Labor Statistics “Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses”
• Works with SDSU’s Environmental, Health, and Safety department on occupational health exams and other related issues
• Coordinates ergonomic evaluations as requested; orders equipment as necessary; may schedule installations and follows-up with employees once all workstation adjustments in place
• Consults with employees requesting a leave of absence and provides leave of absence options to employees; follows up with employees, as appropriate, during time off
• Reviews leave of absence requests, researches and determines eligibility, and notifies employees of leave rights under applicable Federal, State, and Research Foundation options
• Creates and distributes required forms, letters and documentation; maintains confidential files and collects all required leave documentation
• Tracks medical certification, leave approval, and return to work dates and follows up with employees as necessary
• Tracks leave of absence usage and completes employee Leave of Absence timesheets; integrates appropriate sick/vacation/personal holiday accruals with state disability insurance or paid family leave
• Reviews and processes all return to work documentation; participates with HR Business Partners on interactive process dialogs with individuals that have medically necessary work restrictions
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS ASSIGNED
• Works in close collaboration with and backs-up Benefits Manager, as required
• Fosters teamwork and positive work environment through frequent collaboration with other HR employees, promoting best practices
Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or other relevant disciplines plus 2 years human resources, benefits and/or leave administration experience or equivalent combination of education and professional work experience.
• At least one year of recent experience administering California Leaves of Absences
• Benefits reporting and analytics
• HR or benefits certification.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer