The Sponsored Research Services (SRS) division supports the research mission of the University in the areas of grant development and administration, including: developing and submitting proposals; negotiating grant and contract awards and subawards; and administering grants, contracts, research support funds and other campus and community programs. In addition, the division provides administrative support for gift funds on behalf of The Campanile Foundation.
The Grant Specialist is responsible for post award administration, compliance and fiscal management of sponsored programs including the preparing and analyzing cost projections. He/she is directly responsible for managing an assigned portfolio of funds, applying specialized knowledge, and understanding, interpreting and effectively communicating complex federal regulations and internal policies and procedures.
This position is open until filled with first review of applications on Monday, June 25, 2018
- Analyze and monitor contractual agreements and grant awards to ensure awards are managed in accordance with administrative restrictions, reporting and compliance requirements.
- Regularly interact with principal investigators to provide information regarding sponsor agency regulations and requirements; advise PI’s on Research Foundation, San Diego State University, California State Univeristy System, and funding agency policies applicable to their awards.
- Act as a liaison with funding agency contacts and work with principal investigators to submit notifications and requests for prior approvals.
- Provide detailed, comprehensive financial guidance and cost projections on projects funded from both public and private sources with multiple performance periods and varying administrative requirements.
- Regularly interact with principal investigators and management to provide financial advice, business support, analytic services, general accounting and corrective action planning.
- Manage projects with consideration to service, audits and compliance. Review and approve all expenditures and cost transfers with consideration for internal policy and procedures, sponsor restrictions, regulatory compliance, and availability of funds.
- Inform and advise PI’s and project personnel on grant and contract restrictions to ensure regulatory compliance. Enforce restrictions to protect against audit disallowance or non-reimbursement of expenditures and provide guidance on alternative options as appropriate.
- Responsible for oversight and fiscal monitoring of subagrements including review and approval of expenditures, internal audits in conjunction with payment requests, rebudgeting, compliance issues, cost sharing, and problem resolution.
- Monitor and document cost sharing in accordance with sponsor reporting and audit requirements. Work proactively to ensure cost sharing obligations are met. Identify areas of concern and work with investigators, SRA management, and sponsor agencies to negotiate modifications to cost sharing requirements.
- Conduct closeout audits to ensure all compliance and award specific requirements have been met and documentation is complete and audit ready.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Minimum Qualifications (Grant Specialist series)
Grant Specialist I
Grant Specialist II
Preferred Qualifications and Special Skills
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer